How To Take The Fear Out Of Competing – Workshop
Take The Fear Out Of A Speech Competition – Workshop
During the workshop (part of the Regret Nothing™ Series), I asked audience members to describe what their speech competition fears are:
- I’m afraid I’ll trip and fall on the way to the stage.
- Everybody is looking at me and judging me.
- I’m overly concerned about what I’m wearing and how I look.
- I just want to get my speech over-and-done with.
- I get afraid just by looking at the podium/lectern/stage.
- I’m afraid I’ll get up there, open my mouth, and nothing will come out.
The workshop is broken into 2 segments: before a speech competition, and during a speech competition.
Before a Speech Competition
During a Speech Competition
- Eye Contact
- Fill the Stage
Personal examples and mistakes, been-there-done-that advice and tips, and wisdom from former World Champions of Public Speaking.
Event: Sacramento Toastmasters District 39 TLI (Toastmasters Leadership Institute) – Enrichment Session
Date: July 19, 2014
Location: University of Phoenix – Sacramento Valley Campus, 2860 Gateway Oaks Dr., Room 131, Sacramento, CA, 95833
Duration: 1 hour, 20 minutes
Book mentioned during the workshop
Start with Why: How Great Leaders Inspire Everyone to Take Action by Simon Sinek.
At our 2013 Toastmasters District 39 Fall Conference in Sacramento, CA, Ryan Avery stated how much he wished he’d read this book BEFORE he wrote his 2012 World Championship-winning speech.