I met 2 mom’s at a fashion industry mixer this evening in Sacramento.
Mom #1 has a 13-year-old daughter who really wants to be a fashion model. Mom #1 made the following statement: “I don’t want her to leave the nest. She’s my baby. I’m very nervous about it. She’s 13. She’s too young. I don’t want her to get rejected.” It was obvious from her words that she’s afraid.
Mom #2 also has a 13-year-old daughter who really wants to be a fashion model. Mom #2 actually brought her 13-year-old daughter with her to the event specifically to support her modeling career and introduce her to boutique owners, fashion designers, fashion bloggers, magazine editors, makeup artists, hair stylists and other models. Mom #2 is both protective and supportive, which is a great combination. It was obvious from her words that she embraces her daughter’s dream to be a model. And there’s no better place for a Mom to keep an eye on a 13-year-old than standing right next to her.
I got a chance to introduce Mom #1 to Mom #2, so that Mom #1’s fears might be set at ease by talking to another Mom in the exact same boat. Who knows, maybe Mom #2’s supportive approach will rub off.
Take-a-way: Supportive Mom had a plan-of-action to help her daughter with her dream. And she also had a plan-of-protection and a plan-of-parenting. “We have to head out early,” supportive Mom said, as we said goodnight. “It’s a school night.”
Fear can be just as long-lasting as support.
- What’s The Value Of Entering A Speech Contest – And Losing? - February 17, 2017
- Massively Important Life Advice From Ballerina Lauren Lovette - February 11, 2017
- The WRONG Way To Market Your Product On Instagram - February 7, 2017
- How To Grow Your Toastmasters Club - February 4, 2017
- How To Respond To Haters - January 15, 2017
- How Do I Prevent My Low Self Esteem? Quora Q&A - November 23, 2016
- Colin Kaepernick and America’s Flat Tire - September 1, 2016
- Colin Kaepernick Just Wants America To Be Better - August 29, 2016
- Democracy 2.0 – Operating Systems Need Updates - June 19, 2016
- What’s Better Than Taking Mom to Brunch on Mother’s Day? - May 7, 2016